February 27, 2012

Your Marriage Can Always Be Better Than What It Is Now!


The harsh winter is about to bid us farewell and there is sign of life everywhere; Spring is around the corner and my wife and I are excited to trace back our paths across some of the mountains/rivers in and around the city of Daejeon.
Walking and hiking has
become one of our best forms of recreation.
When we were younger, we didn't realize how important it is to keep our bodies in shape; we thought walking for hours is a waste of time.  Working, studying and ministering took all our times and we hardly had time for recreation, family and for leisure.  In fact, taking time for our personal benefit used to bring some kind of guilt; we thought we are selfish to take time for ourselves while there are people who are hurting, there is work to be done, there is a book to be read, there is a paper to be written and deadline to be met.
But when we started to climb the ladder of forties, we began to feel that our size is increasing and strength disappearing; one day my wife exclaimed "look at my weight!", I am ---- pounds more than what I am supposed to be!"  As I saw, it was a shock to know that she had left me behind in this area!  So, about three years ago, we began our campaign against this enemy called weight and together we have vanquished the foe from our territory.

But as we ventured into the quest of maintaining good health; the thing we discovered has surpassed all our expectations (even imagination).  Prior to this venture, we strongly believed that ours was a marriage made in heaven and we have got all that what it means to have a fulfilled marriage.  Little did we realize that as we stepped on the walking trails every weekend for 5-7 hours (depending which course we took), we were also stepping into a different dimension of love and marriage that we had never discovered before.  After 20 years of marriage we have now understood what it means to say "I love my wife/husband more than when I first fell in love".  
My advise to those who are younger than us or who find their marriage becoming monotonous; try to take time off one day in a week and find something that interests both and do it together and if you love walking or hiking...that is the best. I would give up anything on Saturday in order to hold my wife's hand and walk along the trails for hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment