December 31, 2019

Rest in Peace, Dear 2019!



Dear year 2019,
You came into my life.  Now you are leaving.  You promised a lot.  You demanded a lot.  You took a lot too. So, as happy as I was to welcome you, I am not sad to bid you a goodbye.  In fact, I am glad you are leaving.  You are leaving never to return again. 

At times I wish to keep you around.  I don’t want you to leave.  Not because I love you.  But because I want to get back what you have taken from me.  I want to pay you back by gaining what you have taken.  I want to show you my ability to get back at you.  Then, again, you are incapable of returning.  So, I guess, this is it.  You won’t be able to take from me anymore.  I won’t be able to tell you how I got back what you took from me.  That’s how we are; you and I.  You can’t come back.  I can’t go back. 

So, let’s not depart in bitterness.  Let’s make peace as we shake our goodbyes.  I forgive you.  I understand you could not have done any other way.  You made me strong by exposing my weaknesses.  You made me loving by crystalizing my selfishness.  You made me generous by unmasking my greed.  By making me stand so close to death, you made me admit the real condition of my heart.  I saw my heart and I did not like it.  But then, you introduced me to the one who could wash my heart and make it clean.  The amazing thing is; he did it!  I have begun to like my heart now.  If you were not there, dear 2019, I wonder what it would take for me to like my own heart.

So, no, I am not angry at you.  I am glad you were there.  But I want you to go in peace too.  May you rest in peace, dear 2019! 

No comments:

Post a Comment